Mark Jordan wrote:
> ----- "Walter Lewis" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> In
>> short, consider the downstream partners who may try and render the
>> HTML and what interfaces they are using.  Not everyone views the
>> record via a browser ... :)
>>

> One downstream client that embedded HTML-in-MARC will almost
> certainly cause grief for is an OAI-PMH harvester. Unless your OAI
> data provider CDATAs this markup, the exposed XML will likely be
> invalid or at the very least un-namespaced.
>
> Same goes for MARC records emitted by unapi/ATOM/etc., I would
> imagine.

That shouldn't be a problem as any sane OAI-PMH provider, unAPI or ATOM
serializer would escape the contents. Things that resemble HTML tags
could be present in MARC records without any HTML-in-MARC too.

That's, by the way, also a problem if you start treating MARC field
contents as HTML. Here's a real-world example author field:

Babin, Malte-Ludolf.11a<orgolh> - <umil>

--Ere