Apache docs say:

"*Notice:* If your webserver's URLs are *not* directly related to
physical file paths, you have to use |RewriteBase| in every |.htaccess|
files where you want to use |RewriteRule| directives."

So probably not.  I don't use .htaccess files that much myself.  But
I've run into similar annoying issues in apache.conf files too.