2009/7/22 Wayne Lam <[log in to unmask]>:
>  I am new in here and i am currently worked in the library too.
> I am always confused that when i read the post in here, there are always
> something i don't understand
> and there are so much to learn.
>  So, the question is, hows everybody learns to be a good coder for
> libraries, what s the secret and what
> kind of technology are most important to learn?

Two pieces of advice:

(1) Avoid books that we 'dumbed down' ("X in 21 days", "Y for dummies", etc) because they tend to be full of details. These are exactly the details that change completely three years when we move from ILS A to ILS B, from language C to language D or from data format E to data format F. They're also exactly the kind of details that can be found on the web (assuming an open and non-proprietary system / language / data format). Abstract learning transcends these details and make your skills transferable. If you are in an academic library, I suggest that you try and sit in on the most abstract / formal computer science source course offered at first year level.

As for which specific technology: the one with the best motivating examples in your daily job. Motivation is key to learning and if it's job-related your colleagues will be more supportive and helpful.

(2) Learn how to ask questions. http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html is an excellent place to start.

cheers
stuart