Derek,

I don't have any direct experience using CollectiveAccess, but have seen it demod at a conference and it looks quite slick and functional. However, this app suffers from a pretty much complete lack of documentation, apart from the support forum (which is active). According to the CollectiveAccess website, the first draft of the User's Guide and System Administrators Guide is due in Sept. 2008. Not sure if that's a typo.

Nice to see you're looking to open source alternatives.

Mark