Hi Kyle,

----- "Kyle Banerjee" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> LOCKSS is good for protecting articles since that is what it is
> designed to do. For a variety of reasons that go beyond cost, I think
> it's a hopeless model for backup.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that LOCKSS is for backup, in its PLN form it's part of a more general collaborative preservation program that includes policies, business continuity plans, etc. It was never intended to be a backup tool. You're right about journal articles being central to its original design, but PLNs are simply another use for the platform; for example, content on a PLN is not restricted to public-facing versions, it can be packaged up for long-term preservation.

Mark