I'll take a stab at this, also.  I was very intrigued by Chris' work
modelling MODS as an ontology.  AACR2 and MODS emerged from a business
model of standardizing descriptive practice in a way that could be readily
applied and thus shared across disparate organizations.  There are some
native relationships, particularly in topical areas, but not that many.

The real value of modelling MODS into an ontology, IMO, is the ability to
build better relationships with other metadata schemas and data models.
Metadata mapping is still in its infancy and still relies to a large
extent on a "hard mapping" of one data element to another, without mapping
the inherent data model behind each schema, with the elements and their
relationships to one another.  MODS has fairly complex subject elements
with hierarchical relationships among temporal and topical, for example,
that don't map well to less hierarchical schema, for example.  Converting
MODS to an ontology allows the exposure of relationships and thus comes
closer at least to a model-to-model mapping.  ontologyX uses an ontology
behind the <indecs> schema to map the metadata of DOI participants.  I
don't know how well this works, since much of the work is proprietary and
closed.  Diane Hillman has done some interesting work with the NSDL
Metadata Registries project in this area, also.

Another dicey issue in metadata mapping is mapping the values within the
elements, which are often prescribed vocabularies that require use of the
controlled vocabulary to conform to the schema.  If we can get element
mapping truly working, it should be fairly easy to develop text mining
algorithms that compare vocabulary values against dictionaries to identify
and relate equivalent, broader and narrower terms.  Not trivial, but
fairly easy.

Grace Agnew
Rutgers University Libraries