> Are you are referring to a "find in page", where a user presses CTRL-F
> in the browser?

Yes, sorry to be unclear.

> If so, it will depend on the browser.  Google Chrome 2.0 will find
> matches regardless of the diacritics (i.e. user can type "placa" and
> it matches "plaça", and vice versa).  This doesn't seem to work in
> Firefox 3.0.13 or IE8.

Exactly, and FF and IE are the most common browsers we're seeing.

I was wondering if someone (I know this sounds crazy) has explored the
idea of marking up the non-diacritic inline version of the word in a span
styled in such a way as to make it findable but not intrusive.

-t