Cindy Harper wrote:
> I've been thinking about the role of libraries as promoter of authoritative
> works - helping to select and sort the plethora of information out there.
> And I heard another presentation about social media this morning.  So I
> though I'd bring up for discussion here some of the ideas I've been mulling
> over. [...]
> Is anyone else thinking about these ideas?  or do you know of projects that
> approach this goal of leveraging librarian's vetting of authoritative
> sources?

The big problem with social media sites is that they tend towards
privatising our data.  Any solution needs to be both FOSS and
Open Data to overcome that.

Some of the veterans here will probably remember the ODP (dmoz.org)
and VLib.org catalogues.  Can we build on them instead of inventing
another wheel?

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software