I second David's book choice - I've done 3 redesigns at my library
(we're on the 3rd right now) and i have referred to the process in this
book countless times.
I typically follow an iterative approach to writing and executing my
project plans; however, it's difficult to get away from traditional
waterfall methodology and our plans sometimes fall back into that mold -
I can send you a copy of a proj. plan if you're interested

Cheers,
Susan
VCU Libraries
http://www.library.vcu.edu | http://www.library.vcu.edu/redesign