Hi Eric,

You do not have to store the entire text content of the EAD guide in order
to enable facets.  Here's an example:
http://kittredgecollection.org/results?q=*:* .  There are about 15 facets
enabled on a collection of almost 1500 EAD documents (though quite small in
filesize compared to traditional EAD finding aids), and there's no slowdown
whatsoever.  I don't believe you need to store the guides to enable
highlighting either, though I have heard there is some dropoff in
performance with highlighting enabled.  I've never done benchmarking on
highlighting enabled versus disabled, so I can't tell you how much of a
dropoff there is.  In an index of only several hundred documents, I would
think that the dropoff with highlighting enabled would be fairly negligible.

Ethan