On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 8:39 AM, MJ Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Eric Hellman wrote:
> > Are you arguing that reCaptcha cannot be accessible or that it is
> > incorrectly implemented on this site?
>
> Primarily that it is incorrectly implemented.  However, I've yet to
> see an implementation of recaptcha that is accessible and does not
> needlessly insult users with impaired vision.  Even the one on
> recaptcha.net includes the fully-abled=human insults.

The space shuttle is not wheelchair-accessible.  Is that a reason not to go
to the moon?  Are non-astronauts less than human?  People in foreign
countries who don't speak English are not discriminating against you by not
speaking English.  Fancy restaurants don't have picture menus.  People who
don't have the internet can't query google via snail mail.  Do you consider
yourself more human than people who don't have internet access or don't know
how to read?

Captcha isn't meant as a judgment about whether you happen to have a soul or
something, so there's no need to take it personally.  It's meant to keep the
bots out, period.  It's easy to not understand the importance of that if
you've never had to deal with your site getting spammed.  No business owner
in their right mind wants to exclude potential customers if they don't have
to.

If the site itself is not accessible, maybe it's better they use ReCaptcha
and screen people they're unable to serve out before they even try to sign
up...