On 29 Oct 2009, at 11:02, O.Stephens wrote:

>> Could you elaborate a bit? In my mind, the only "semantic web
>> technology" of any note is "linked data". How that fits into
>> "library search" is anyone's guess, and I'm wondering what,
>> specifically, you're referring to when you say that Talis is
>> active in this area.
>
> I'm sure there are some Talis people out there who could give a
> fuller run down of what the company are doing in this area, but as
> examples:
>
> Developing and supporting RDF Triple store technology (aka 'The
> Platform')
> Exposing "reading list" information as RDF via their Aspire product
> Contributing to relevant Ontologies - including discussions of/
> contributions to BIBO, resourcelist and AIISO ontologies
> The http://semanticlibrary.org/ demonstrator of use of RDF/Semantic
> tech/Linked data for library data

Well done Owen you saved me a few keystrokes there.

I would add to your list that the Software-as-a-Service semantic
Platform [http://www.talis.com/platform] underpins the Talis Prism
OPAC, Talis Aspire resource list system, and Talis Engage community
information system.  All three providing live services for large
public and academic libraries, demonstrating that these technologies
can be robust, scalable and reliable.

Although not library focussed uses of the Platform, it is also being
used to drive innovation by the BBC and data.gov.uk, in providing
SPARQL query end-points on to publicly available data in RDF form.

There has been a recent thread on the NGC4LIB list, stimulated by an
interview with Tim Berners-Lee [http://fora.tv/2009/10/08/Next_Decade_Technologies_Changing_the_World-Tim-Berners-Lee
], that covers much around semantic web and libraries.  As is often
the case on that list, the thread wanders far and wide (with the
almost obligatory stop off in FRBR-land).  I have put together some of
my thoughts from the issues raised by it, in a recent blog post "Will
Linked Data mean an early end for Marc & RDA" [http://tinyurl.com/ykrnjph
]

~Richard

Find out more about Talis at www.talis.com

shared innovationTM

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.