Mark Logic is a native XML database and most of the code is XQuery. So, it's
operating directly on the XML. It has specific optimized queries that it
runs. I like you idea about considering what comes after Mark Logic. I've
never been one for making metadata decisions based on the current system.

Thanks,

Chris