The first question is: what are they trying to accomplish by having DOIs?

Do they have a long-term plan for persistence of their content? Financial
plan?

If they're looking for persistent identifiers, I don't understand (a
priori), why DOI is better, as an identifier scheme, than any other
'persistent identifier scheme' (ARK [1], PURL, Handle, etc[2]). (Though I
really like CrossRef and the things they're doing.)

[1] http://www.cdlib.org/inside/diglib/ark/
[2] http://www.persistent-identifier.de/english/204-examples.php

-Jodi