I've been using TEI for a while now, both at http://www.nzetc.org/ and
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/ and while you may already know this:

* Make sure you're using the P5 release of TEI, P4 and earlier don't
play well being parts of larger documents (xml:lang, xml:id and schema
issues).

* TEI uses the document's logical structure as is starting point
(chapters, paragraphs, etc), rather than the physical structure (i.e.
volumes and pages, etc), but if you're working in a page-centric larger
system, you want to pay special attention to how you're going to encode
pagebreaks in the TEI (See
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-pb.html) so you
can coordinate correctly. And whether you want the links to the page
images to appear in the METS or the TEI (or both). We use corresp's to
point from pagebreaks to the associated images.

In out texts pagebreaks can occur almost anywhere and are marked as:

...<pb xml:id="n112" n="98" corresp="#MarAmon112"/>...

The @n is the page number printed on the page. And in the header:

<notesStmt xml:id="notesStmt-0001">
   <note xml:id="page-images">
     <list>
        <item>
          <figure xml:id="MarAmon112">
             <graphic url="MarAmon112.gif" mimeType="image/gif"
xml:id="MarAmon112-g" n="fp98"/>
          </figure>
        </item>
      </list>
    </note>
</notesStmt>

For the file this example is taken from:
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-MarAmon.html "Other formats" -> "TEI"

cheers
stuart

--