On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM, LeVan,Ralph <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> For VIAF, rankings are calculated based on the number of institutions
> that have controlled that name and the amount of attention the
> institutions have given to that name (e.g. size of their respective name
> authority records).

Neat. It would be great to have some external dataset to use in
ranking LCSH suggestions at id.loc.gov. But at the moment it's a
simple mysql db loaded up with some MARC LCSH data. I guess it could
do something smart with PageRank-like ranking of 'super-concepts'
(concepts that are linked to a lot)...but that would've taken longer
than 20 minutes :-)

//Ed