Matt Amory wrote:
> I'm trying to get UNIX/LINUX to run on my Windows laptop.  Is UWIN the best
> and easiest option?

While lots of other people have answered this question already, I'd like
to point out that without information on what it is you want to use
Linux for, it's almost impossible to give a sensible answer to this
question.

Are you planning on using it to offer services to third parties? to do
network diagnostics? to try out new software? (which software?) to
improve your skills? to be able to test stuff on your laptop in the same
environment as your servers? to improve your commandline-foo? Annoy your
fellow Windows users? as part of a prolonged programme of masochism?
Each of these lead (potentially) to different recommendations.

BTW: 'UNIX' is a trademark which is basically no longer used. You
probably mean POSIX (AKA  IEEE Std 1002.1-1989 AKA ISO/IEC 9945).

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates