It seems that different people are seeing different things in their
respective viewers (i.e some are OK and others are like what I am
seeing).

When I use wget and view the local file in Firefox (3.0.4, Linux Suse
11.0) I see:
 http://cuvier.cisti.nrc.ca/~gnewton/tictoc1.gif
[gif used as it is not lossy]

The text is clearly not correct.

The file I got with wget is:
  http://cuvier.cisti.nrc.ca/~gnewton/tictoc.txt

Is this just a question of different client software (and/or OSes)
viewing or mangling the content?

-glen

Thanks for tracking this down Godmar.
I've emailed tictocs and we'll see what they say.

-Glen :-)