Whew.  Just survived an Ubuntu dist-upgrade which broke our Apache SSL
virtual hosts configuration.  I had thought the foulup on the test
server was because we were testing various certs in the wake of the root
CA expiration!

We estimate that 15-25% of our users will be affected (the new root CA
seems to work in Google Chrome as well as IE), and that a new wildcart
cert could be had for $40 or $80 from StartSSL for two years - not quite
sure yet what level verification we'd need, hence the 40/80 doubt.

We're running multiple name-based hosts at one IP address (for
encryption), hence the reliance on the wildcart cert.  We could
conceivably get more IP addresses, but I don't know if I want to take
that one up with IT.  Methinks we're going to try scraping together
40/80 bucks, which isn't as simple here as it may sound.

Twitter's been very helpful in keeping up with this.

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager

Access Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]