Hi

2009/12/17 stuart yeates <[log in to unmask]>:

> If, however, you need to deal with characters which don't qualify for
> inclusion in Unicode (or which do qualify but which haven't yet been
> assigned code points). I recommend tei:glyph:
>

> http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ref-glyph.html
>
> We use this to represent typographically interesting but short-lived
> approaches to the representation of Māori in printed works. See for example
> the 'wh' ligature (which looks like a 'vh' and is pronounced in modern usage
> like 'f') in the following text:

an interesting approach, although not the only way to address that
particular issue.

and depends on whether you want to treat it as a ligature or as a character.

Other approaches have been to :
1) use PUA assignments, e.g. the MUFI and SIL PUA
assignments/registries as examples; or
2) use U+200D to request ligation

Both these approaches would require specifically defined or modified fonts.

--
Andrew Cunningham
Vicnet Research and Development Coordinator