Delaying the autosuggest until three or four characters have been
entered should save some time.

Unfortunately, the search results aren't very digestible. The query
term is matched anywhere in the heading, and only 30 results are
returned per page. So, for example, the first page of a search for
"doc*":

  http://id.loc.gov/authorities/search/?q=doc*

doesn't return any results that actually start with "doc" (" Act of
state doctrine", "Adventists--Doctrines",
"Agriculture--Documentation", etc).

Ben

--
Benjamin Florin
Technology Assistant for Blended Education