It has an OpenSearch interface:

http://id.loc.gov/authorities/opensearch

But I don't think there's a way to explicitly limit to, say, the
beginning of a label.

lcsubjects.org has a sparql interface where you could use a regex
filter on the labels:

http://api.talis.com/stores/lcsh-info/services/sparql

But it's probably not going to be fast enough for what you're talking about.

There are around 647,500 distinct labels in the dump files, it might
be easier and better to just grab the n-triples file, pull the lines
with <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#prefLabel> and
<http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#altLabel> and shove them in a
local data store.

On the other hand, if you don't care where your "autocomplete" string
is coming from in the label, you could try:

http://api.talis.com/stores/lcsh-info/items?query=preflabel%3Av+||+altlabel%3Av&max=10&offset=0&sort=&xsl=&content-type=

http://api.talis.com/stores/lcsh-info/items?query=preflabel%3Avi+||+altlabel%3Avi&max=10&offset=0&sort=&xsl=&content-type=

http://api.talis.com/stores/lcsh-info/items?query=preflabel%3Avir+||+altlabel%3Avir&max=10&offset=0&sort=&xsl=&content-type=

etc.