A newly-minted library school grad who has up to this point focused my
studies on Rare Books and Book Arts, I've been interested in getting
back into some programming--I took two classes in college
(VisualBASIC), have a smattering of web design and php, MySQL,
exposure, but I'd like to try my hand at teaching myself a language in
my free time. My partner is a former dotcom programmer (now studying
neuroscience) and has offered to assist when needed, so I'm not
completely on my own (thank goodness).

My question is, where would you recommend I would begin? What's hot
right now in the library world? Python, PERL, Ruby? Any advice you'd
have for a beginner like me or even recommendations for online courses
would be extremely appreciated

JC