He means JavaScript. ;)

Honestly, though, PHP and all it's fault not withstanding, I highly
recommend starting with a C syntax-based language such as JavaScript,
PHP, Java, or even C# (and obviously C and C++). Get some basic
programming concepts understood, and then pursue the language the fits
the bill for the task you're trying to solve.

Most languages share some similarities, so moving between them gets
easier as you go a long. Starting with a C syntax-based language will
put you in good stead for learning several more (the list above is by no
means exhaustive).

If you want to check out some language usage statistics, I recommend
these two sites:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
http://langpop.com/

And do join the #code4lib IRC channel. It's enjoyable regardless of the
language you pick. :)

On 3/25/10 11:36 AM, Gabriel Farrell wrote:
> You should /join #code4lib. Only there will you learn the secret one
> true path to wisdom.
>
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Matthew Bachtell
> <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>
>> As someone who uses PHP to do the small things I would recommend using
>> Python or another language.  I am trying to transition away from PHP to
>> Python as it is not a panacea.  PHP's great for web scripting but was never
>> intended to do all of the duct taped projects that I have put together with
>> it.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Yitzchak Schaffer<
>> [log in to unmask]>  wrote:

>>> Another way of looking at this: part of learning a language is learning its
>>> vulnerabilities and how to deal with them.  And how to avoid security holes
>>> in web code in general.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Yitzchak Schaffer
>>> Systems Manager