On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Aaron Rubinstein
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This is some of the best advice.  Reading and adapting good code has been my
> favorite way to learn.  There was a discussion a couple years back on a
> code4lib code repository of some kind[1].  I'd love to resurrect this idea.
>  A private pastebin[2] might be a decent option.  I also know that a number
> of us use GitHub[3], which allows for collecting syntax highlighted code
> snippets and has some nifty social networking features that let you follow
> other coders and projects.  GitHub is certainly not a solution for a
> code4lib repository but is another way to share code and learn from each
> other.

I disagreed with this back in the day, and I still disagree with
running our own code repository.  There are too many good code hosting
solutions out there for this to be justifiable.  We used to run an SVN
repo at code4lib.org, but we never bothered rebuilding it after our
server got hacked.

Actually I think GitHub/Google Code and their ilk are a much better
solution -- especially for pastebins/gists/etc.  What would be useful,
though, is an aggregation of the Code4lib's community spread across
these sites, sort of what like the Planet does for blog postings, etc.
or what Google Buzz does for the people I follow (i.e. I see their
gists).

I'd buy in to that (and help support it), but I'm not sure how one
would go about it.

-Ross.