Quoting Emily Lynema <[log in to unmask]>:

> What seems like would make more sense for us is to link to a Work
> record in Open Library or Internet Archive which can then direct users
> to all volumes digitized for that Work. I searched this title in Open
> Library and found individual results for the various years of the
> journal, so it didn't seem like that kind of aggregated record was
> being exposed to users at this point.
>
> See here for an example:
> http://openlibrary.org/search?q=polytechnisches+Journal

Interesting idea, Emily. In general it makes sense, but a few caveats:

1) Open Library does not *consciously* take in non-monographs. Some do
slip in, but it is intended to be a Books database
2) Multi-volume items are a general problem because they end up
looking like duplicate entries (each is represented by the same
bibliographic data), and I fear that some may be lost during
de-duping. OL has it on its list of "things to fix". Right now, the
record format doesn't have a place to link a digital file to a volume
number within a "Manifestation" level record. (And I fear that in some
cases the volume numbers may not have been retained in the metadata.
*sigh*)

kc

> Do you think a Work record page in Open Library that we could link to
> from our local systems would be an effective solution to this problem?
> Anybody have other ideas?
>
> -emiliy
>
> CODE4LIB automatic digest system wrote:
>>
>> Date:    Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:22:41 -0700
>> From:    Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Works API
>>
>> Open Library now has Works defined, and is looking to develop an
>> API  for their retrieval. It makes obvious sense that when a Work
>> is  retrieved via the API, that the data output would include links
>>  to the Editions that link to that Work. Here are a few possible
>>
>> 1) Retrieve Work information (author, title, subjects, possibly
>> reviews, descriptions, first lines) alone
>> 2) Retrieve Work information + OL identifiers for all related Editions
>> 3) Retrieve Work information + OL identifiers + any other
>> identifiers  related to the Edition (ISBN, OCLC#, LCCN)
>> 4) Retrieve Work information and links to Editions with full text / scans
>>
>> Well, you can see where I'm going with this. What would be useful?
>>
>> kc
>>

> --
> Emily Lynema
> Associate Department Head