On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> My question about WorldCat records has to do with whole v. parts -- I can
> understand that a full MARC record, with holdings, downloaded from WC could
> be considered a WC record. After that, there is a lot of distance between
> the full MARC and, say, a citation with an author, title, publisher and
> date. Where is the line drawn? When does it cease to be a WC record and
> become just another chunk of bibliographic data floating around cyberspace?

This reminds of when dewey.info released RDF data under a Creative
Commons "No Derivative Works" license, which doesn't really make sense
to me.  Data (as opposed to literary texts or music, for example) is
always going to be manipulated for processing or display.  It seemed
to me that in order to ingest and use the data in any way (for
example, in a web interface) you have to use a derivative, unless you
are simply re-displaying the original data verbatim.  But I don't
think many users would want to look at raw RDF/XML.

Keith