Walker, David wrote:
>> I think a good compromise is to have local meeting
>> conversations on the code4libcon google group.
>>

> this!

+1 for me too.  Although I knew I wasn't going to be attending the C4L
conference in Asheville I still followed most of the messages related to
conference.  Even though it had a lot of traffic about logistics that
was of no interest to me there was also a lot about what was going to
presented there, virtual participation information (twitter tags), and
other discussions that were of general interest.   While I won't be
attending a C4L midwest conference (sorry, Eric) I might read something
there that I might use for the C4L North conference that I'll more
likely attend.  Even though most of the discussions on a code4libcon
conference might be regional a lot of it may be on issues that are going
to be appropriate for a conference, no matter where it's located.
Subject line tagging (i.e. C4LNorth) would make it easy to filter out
posts when planning is underway for conferences in different areas.
Moving conference related discussions  to a separate conf list would
also improve signal to  noise ratio on code4lib.

--
John Fereira
Cornell University