I'd actually vote for the "sensible, forward-looking approach." The BBC
(for one) is already using CouchDB in a production:
http://damienkatz.net/2010/03/bbc_and_couchdb.html

That said, NoSQL as a "movement" is as wide and varied as the RDBMS
world, and there are pros and cons to each. I'm personally a proponent
of CouchDB because it's RESTful API, JSON storage system, and JavaScript
(or Erlang, PHP, Python, Ruby, etc) map/reduce view engine. If your
project need replication at all (whether for scaling, data sharing,
etc), I'd take a good hard look at CouchDB as that's it's core
distinction among the other NoSQL databases.

Hope that helps,
Benjamin

--
President