 From my understanding of key/value stores, one can put documents on the
other side of the key, but any and all parsing/processing of that value
happens outside of the database. In CouchDB, the entire document is
query-able from within map/reduce views. After being querying on, those
keys are indexed for faster future queries. So, in that way, CouchDB
jumps over the key/value limitations and becomes a document database.

In addition to map/reduce output, there's also a handy _update system
that can be used to validate a JSON document prior to it's insertion in
the database--again, something not possible with key/value storage.

You can, though, use CouchDB in a key/value fashion by storing binary
data (or HTML, XML, RDF, etc) as attachments or JSON encoded strings
(where possible). In that case, you would just be retrieving them by id
(or URL), but you could store all kinds of ad hoc metadata about those
attachments and use those to query with later.

Also, the blog article Ryan Eby just posted, is a great (and quick)
overview of the varied noSQL ecosystem. In many ways, these systems are
as different as they are similar.

Hope you (re)search goes well,
Benjamin

--