On 4/19/2010 3:02 PM, Cowles, Esme wrote:

So of course I'd love them to offer it for free.  But realistically, it probably cost them a fortune to develop, and they've got to recoup that somehow.

Yes, but I can't imagine they're recouping much from licensing to
non-profits--surely the real revenue is generated by licensing to
commercial systems vendors.

I would think that open access to the vocabularies = development of
useful tools around them by third parties = wider adoption of Getty
vocabularies = greater collective stake in them = greater likelihood
that other institutions will step in to ensure they're maintained.

Perhaps there are other issues here, though.

--
Cory Rockliff
Technical Services Librarian

---