At #ldow2010 on Tuesday there was a presentation on "semantic" Twitter
via TwitLogic:
http://twitlogic.fortytwo.net/

You can download the full paper if you're really curious:
http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2010/papers/ldow2010_paper16.pdf

Twitter Annotations system was mentioned at the end as a possible side
option. There's bound to be a good bit of talk in the Linked Data
community on strapping RDF/RDFa into Twitter Annotations, but I believe
that's still beginning.

Additionally (as someone outside of the library community proper),
OpenURL's dependence on resolvers would be the largest concern. Anyone
could build similar "real thing" URL's and use 303 See Other redirects
to return one or more digital resources about that "real thing." See
this for more information:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jun/0039

Enjoy the reads,
Benjamin