Quoting Tim Spalding <[log in to unmask]>:

> Does anyone know:
>
> Is there a "what is a WorldCat record" section? I can't find it. Does
> the "original cataloger" concept still apply, or has that gone away?
>
> Tim

Tim, I asked this of one of the authors, and he said he'd take it back
to the group. I think there does need to be a definition. (Also note
that if you looked at the document yesterday morning, it had changed
by the afternoon -- there had been a couple of missing paragraphs...
so take another look.)

My question about WorldCat records has to do with whole v. parts -- I
can understand that a full MARC record, with holdings, downloaded from
WC could be considered a WC record. After that, there is a lot of
distance between the full MARC and, say, a citation with an author,
title, publisher and date. Where is the line drawn? When does it cease
to be a WC record and become just another chunk of bibliographic data
floating around cyberspace?

kc

--
Karen Coyle