I believe that's $1000 for a five-year license, or $200 a year, for
unlimited use of the data as an XML download and/or as a web service.
That compares pretty favorably to, e.g., $325 / year minimum for access
to RDA Toolkit.

The real question here, I think, is not whether the price is right, but
whether licensing of this sort is the best course for the Getty to
pursue. They do already provide free access to their vocabularies in
human-readable form--why not expand that into open access to the
underlying data? The Getty vocabularies are far richer, semantically,
than LCSH; within their domain, they'd be a great deal more useful as
linked data than LCSH is in its id.loc.gov incarnation.

I see no reason why publishing the Getty vocabularies as open linked
data should disrupt their business model as a whole, either--they could
continue to license their data to the commercial vendors who use them
in, e.g., collection management systems, while providing this service to
the community at large.