On 4/20/10 7:18 PM, "Jonathan Rochkind" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> But first, to really answer the question, we need some more information
> from you. What data do you actually have of value? Just saying "we have
> FRBRized data" doesn't really tell me, "FRBRized data" can be almost
> anything, really.   Can you tell us more about what value you think
> you've added to your data as a result of your "FRBRization"?  What do
> you have that wasn't there before?  Better relationships between
> manifestations?  Something else?

Heh, I was intentionally vague in an attempt to avoid skewing the discussion
in certain directions, but I was obviously *too* vague - my apologies. Here
are the sorts of things we'd imagined and are looking to prioritize:

- Give me a list of all manifestations that match some arbitrary query terms
- Given this manifestation identifier, show me all expressions on it and
what works they realize
- Give me a list of all works that match some arbitrary query terms
- Given this work identifier, show all expressions and manifestations of it
- Show me all of the people who match some arbitrary query terms (women
composers in Vienna in the 1860s, for example)
- Which works have expressions with this specific relationship to this
particular known person?

Basically we're exploring when we should support queries as words vs.
previously-known identifiers, when a response will all be a set of records
for the same entity vs. several different ones with the relationships
between them recorded, to what degree answering a query will involve
traversing lots of relationships - stuff like that. Having some real use
cases will help us decide what kind of a service to offer and what
technology we'll use to implement that service.

We do hope to also be able to publish Linked Data in some form - that's
probably going to come a little later, but it's definitely on "the list".

To answer one of your other questions, the V/FRBR project is focusing on
musical materials (scores and recordings) in particular, but we hope to set
up frameworks that would be useful for library bibliographic and authority
data in general.

Jenn

Jenn Riley
Metadata Librarian