Quoting "Riley, Jenn" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Hi all,

So if there were FRBRized data available to you (at
> least for FRBR group 1 and group 2 entities; *maybe* group 3 as well), what
> would you do with it? What kinds of questions would your service (discovery
> system, whatever) ask a service that made this data available? What kinds of
> information would you want in a response? Would you have uses that called
> for downloading of "all" data at once or would you instead be better off
> with real-time queries to a web service? It's questions like that we're
> interested in brainstorming with this group about.

Take a look at the Open Library's use of entities:
   http://upstream.openlibrary.org

When you search on a subject, you get a subject entity/page. When you
search on an author, you get an author entity/page. Information about
the subject and the author, plus the relationships are available in
current data (related subjects, related persons, etc.) are all there.

For users, I think that the group 2 and 3 entities and the various
relationships are key to discovery. After that, what relationships you
can derive from the data gives users a way to navigate (rather than
search).

It would be ideal to have an actual entity for each of the FRBR 1, 2
and 3 entities. We could even create entities that aren't exactly in
FRBR, such as for publication dates, publishers, languages. And the
main view is not of a single entity, but an entity in relation to
other entities. What's nearby? What happens when I combine these two?
(Also see WorldCat Identities as an example of data that can be shown
in relation to a person entity.)

kc

--
Karen Coyle