Quoting "Ziso, Ya'aqov" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Karen Coyle,
>
> By ‘create entities’ (below) is it NECESSARY to create records (and
> keep them up-to-date), or is it possible/preferable to create them
> on the fly?
> ./Ya’aqov

the display is created on the fly. the entities need to be somehow
embodied as entities in the database. But the entity is, for example,
the author, not that whole page of information. It's an identified
"thing" in the database that can have relationships with other
"things" -- which can then be brought into the display.

You can see how OL has defined things by looking through the list of types:

http://openlibrary.org/type

Everything that we consider a "data element" is a type, and types can
be created that contain other types (look at author as an example).
This makes for a lot of flexibility, and in theory any type could be
treated as an entity (although it doesn't make sense for all of them).
I'm sure this is only one of many ways to do this...

kc

> .... It would be ideal to have an actual entity for each of the FRBR
>  1, 2  and 3 entities. We could even create entities that aren't
> exactly in FRBR, such as for publication dates, publishers,
> languages. And the   main view is not of a single entity, but an
> entity in relation to other entities. What's nearby? What happens
> when I combine these two?  (Also see WorldCat Identities as an
> example of data that can be shown  in relation to a person entity.)

Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net
ph: 1-510-540-7596
m: 1-510-435-8234
begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-510-435-8234      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
skype: kcoylenet