Hi all,

I'm digging into earlier threads on Code4Lib and NGC4lib and trying to get some concrete examples around the DCTERMS element set — maybe I haven't been a subscriber for long enough.

What I'm looking for in particular are things I can work with *in code/implementation*, most notably:

- does there exist a MODS-to-DCTERMS (or vice-versa) crosswalk anywhere?  I see one for collections: <http://www.loc.gov/standards/mods/v3/mods-collection-description.html> and <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marc2dc.html> for MARC but my ideal use case is, eg. an XSLT to turn a MODS document into an XML-encoded DCTERMS document.  Surely someone has done this?

(I'm sure I've oversimplified or misunderstood something, but hopefully the general approach is understandable)

- for that matter, is there a good example of how to "properly" serialize DCTERMS for eg. a converted MARC/MODS record in XML (or RDF/XML)?  I see, eg. <http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-rdf-xml/> which has been replaced by <http://dublincore.org/documents/dc-rdf/> but I'm not sure if the latter obviates the former entirely?  Also, the examples at the bottom of the latter don't show, eg. repeated elements or DCMES elements.  Do we abandon http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ entirely?

For example, is this valid?

 xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
 xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ ">

 <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/123">
  <dc:title xml:lang="en">Learning Biology</dcterms:title>
  <dcterms:title xml:lang="en">Learning Biology</dcterms:title>
  <dcterms:alternative xml:lang="en">A primer on biological processes</dcterms:title>
  <dcterms:creator xml:lang="en">Bar, Foo</dcterms:creator>
  <dcterms:creator xml:lang="en">Smith, Jane</dcterms:creator>
  <dc:creator xml:lang="en">Bar, Foo</dc:creator>
  <dc:creator xml:lang="en">Smith, Jane</dc:creator>
 </rdf:Description>

</rdf:RDF>

Apologies for any questions that seem silly or naive — I think i have a pretty firm grasp on the levels of abstraction involved, but for the life of me, I can't find much solid stuff about DCTERMS outside of the DCMI website, which can be a bit of a challenge to navigate at times.

Thanks,
MJ