I still don't really see how what you're talking about would
practically be accomplished.

For one, to have "rft.subject", like you mention, would require using
the dublincore context set.  Since that wouldn't be useful on its own
for the services that link resolvers currently offer, OpenURL sources
(i.e. A&I database providers) would have to support SAP 2 (XML)
context objects so they can pass the book/journal/patent/etc. referent
metadata along with the Dublin Core referent metadata.  It also
becomes a POST rather than a simple link (GET).

What I'm saying is it ups the requirements on all ends of the
ecosystem, for what?

What you're talking about would be *much* more easily implemented via
SRU and CQL (or OpenSearch), anyway, since your example is really
performing a search.  Since OpenURL doesn't have any semblance of
standardized response format, a client wouldn't know what to do with
the response, anyway.

-Ross.