Eric Hellman wrote:

> What I hope for is that OpenURL 1.0 eventually takes a place
> alongside SGML as a too-complex standard that directly paves the way
> for a universally adopted foundational technology like XML. What I
> fear is that it takes a place alongside MARC as an anachronistic
> standard that paralyzes an entire industry.

But all the flaws of XML can be traced back to SGML which is why we now
use JSON despite all of its limitations. May brother Ted Nelson
enlighten all of us - he not only hates XML [1] and similar formats but
also  proposed an alternative way to structure information even before
the invention of hierarchical file systems and operating systems [2]. In
his vision of Xanadu every piece of published information had a unique
ID that was reused everytimes the publication was referenced - which
would solve our problem.

SCNR
Jakob

[1] http://ted.hyperland.com/XMLisEvil.html
[2] Ted Nelson: A File Structure for the Complex, The Changing and the
Indeterminate, ACM 20th National Conference, pages 84-100, 1965.
Presented in 1964.

--
Jakob Voß <[log in to unmask]>, skype: nichtich
Platz der Goettinger Sieben 1, 37073 Göttingen, Germany