From: Code for Libraries on behalf of Thomas Dowling
Sent: Mon 4/12/2010 10:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] NoSQL - is this a real thing or a flash in the pan?

So let's say (hypothetically, of course) that a colleague tells you he's
considering a NoSQL database like MongoDB or CouchDB, to store a couple
tens of millions of "documents", where a document is pretty much an
article citation, abstract, and the location of full text (not the full
text itself).  Would your reaction be:

"That's a sensible, forward-looking approach.  Lots of sites are putting
lots of data into these databases and they'll only get better."

"This guy's on the bleeding edge.  Personally, I'd hold off, but it could
work."

"Schedule that 2012 re-migration to Oracle or Postgres now."

"Bwahahahah!!!"

Or something else?

(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NoSQL> is a good jumping-in point.)

--
Thomas Dowling

To report this message as spam, offensive, or if you feel you have received this in error,
please send e-mail to [log in to unmask] including the entire contents and subject of the message.
It will be reviewed by staff and acted upon appropriately.