I think Twitter annotations would be a good use for http://thing-described-by.org/ or a functional equivalent. The payload of the annotation would simply be a description URI and a namespace and value for descriptions by reference

1. the mechanism would be completely generic, usable for any sort of reference, not siloed in libraryland. In other words, we might actually get people to adopt it.
2. libraryland descriptions could use BIBO or RDA or both or whatever, and could be concise or verbose
3. descriptions could be easily reused

I'll write this up a bit more and would be interested in comment, but it's where this post was going:
http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2010/04/when-shall-we-link.html

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.
41 Watchung Plaza, #132