Thanks for your help, Erik.  I got it working by forming $query with this:

<xsl:variable name="query" select="concat($solr-url,
'select?q=%7B%21raw%20f=', name(), '%7D',
encode-for-uri(normalize-space(.)))"/>

I guess technically I could use url encoded double quotes, but my subject
strings were not encoded, and therefore they will still throwing exceptions.

Ethan