Dear Michael K.,

Michael Witt is correct that DataCite will be assigning DOIs to
datasets.  They are just getting started, and so it may be a little
while before they are able to accept deposits, but it would certainly
be a good idea to get in touch with them.

CrossRef is a not-for-profit association of scholarly publishers. We
only assign DOIs to archival material. We can assign DOIs to data, but
we are concentrating on supplementary data for published articles. We
may be able to assign DOIs to web sites, if they are permanent. For
example, we are investigating the possibility of assigning DOIs to
scientific blogs or web encyclopedia entries. Our main concern is the
permanence of the content.

In addition to assigning DOIs, membership in CrossRef carries with it
certain obligations, including maintaining the metadata and urls
associated with CrossRef DOIs and implementing reciprocal (or
outbound) linking. Our annual fees are based on an organization's
publishing revenue and start at $275 per year for the smallest
publishers.

Please feel free to contact me if you need additional information.

Best,
Carol