You know, this leads into something I've been wondering about. You'll
all have to pardon my ignorance, as I've never worked in a library with
functioning management of e-resources.

Do libraries opt for these commercial 'pre-indexed' services simply
because they're a good value proposition compared to all the work of
indexing multiple resources from multiple vendors into one local index,
or is it that companies like iii and Ex Libris are the only ones with
enough clout to negotiate access to otherwise-unavailable database
vendors' content?

Can I assume that if a database vendor has exposed their content to me
as a subscriber, whether via z39.50 or a web service or whatever, that
I'm free to cache and index all that metadata locally if I so choose? Is
this something to be negotiated on a vendor-by-vendor basis, or is it an
impossibility?

Cory

On 6/30/2010 12:37 PM, Walker, David wrote:
> Hi Cindy,
>
> Both the Ebsco and Proquest APIs are definitely available to customers.  We're using the Ebsco one in our Xerxes application, for example.  ( I'll send you a link off-list, Cindy.)
>
> --Dave
>
> ==================
> David Walker
> Library Web Services Manager
> California State University
> http://xerxes.calstate.edu

Cory Rockliff
Technical Services Librarian
Bard Graduate Center: Decorative Arts, Design History, Material Culture
18 West 86th Street
New York, NY 10024
T: (212) 501-3037

---