Michael,

I sense confusion between DOIs and other forms of stable identifiers.

There are various architectures for stable identifiers -- OCLC's PURL,
the CNRI Handle System, etc.  There are a number of implementations of
the Handle System, the most well-known of which is CrossRef's DOI.  As
you note, CrossRef has a particular scope for what sort of content can
get a DOI, and those who register DOIs are required to do certain things
required by CrossRef.

For use case (1), I wonder if the funder really requires only a stable
URL, not a DOI.  If a funder really requires a DOI for a website that's
not a journal article, they're asking for something that's not really
allowed.

For use case (2), I suppose you could run an implementation of the
Handle System outside of DSpace that allows you to create URLs for the
bitstreams.  I haven't worked with DSpace and have heard that it's
difficult to modify; still, I find it surprising if you're the first to
try this.  Perhaps ask around in the DSpace community?

Use case (3) is the most appropriate, but you'll find that CrossRef's
membership fees are quite high.  You might set up a local implementation
of the Handle System to create your own handles rather than use
CrossRef's.  That way you get the permanent identifier without the
fringe benefits of CrossRef membership, its obligations, and its fees.

Hope that helps,

Kevin