A simple use case comes from OpenSearch and its use of URL templates.  To enable the return of RSS as the response to an SRU query, we added the parameter "httpAccept=application/rss+xml" to the SRU URL in the OpenSearch template and coded for it in the SRU server.  Had we had a filter in the request, the servlet's life would have been easier.

That seemed like a specific solution to what could be a generalizable problem.

Ralph