For a start, not a replacement for a hacker producing something for you, you might want to investigate what some of the existing jQuery plug-ins (not the cool/kewl UI widgets) can do already. Try http://plugins.jquery.com/projects/plugins?type=54 As part of a similar investigation I have been impressed with the functionality of "Datatables" from that list. I have not used it in anger yet, but it does a lot of what you are looking for.

Peter Noerr