* Apologies for cross-posting. *

Has your library used QR Codes, or other Augmented reality (AR) tools
in exciting and
innovative ways? Are you looking for an opportunity to present at ALA?
The RUSA MARS
Hot Topics in Electronic Reference Discussion Group seeks panelists
for its upcoming program
at ALA Midwinter 2010: “Layers of Reality: Extending Library Services
and Resources through
QR Codes and Augmented Reality.” With simple and often free
technologies, QR codes may be
created and added to posters, signage, and other promotional
literature. These embedded codes,
which often appear to be barcodes (or oddly shaped icons), may be
processed by camera phones
and PDAs to direct the user to online information. Augmented reality
takes existing visual or
video information and adds additional layers of computer graphics,
pattern recognition, and other
visual effects.

We’re looking for presenters who have used these new and emerging
tools to bridge the gap
between the print and digital environments, as well as any operational
or purely functional
applications. The discussion could also be expanded to look at the use
of these technologies for
marketing and outreach programs. Our session will focus on presenting
these tools, their present
and future applications, and discussing their possible uses for
improving reference service.
Presentations are informal and are intended to jumpstart discussion
among the attendees. The
discussion will be held Saturday, January 8th, 2011 at the ALA
Midwinter conference in San
Diego, CA. If you are interested in serving as a panelist, please
contact Matt Torrence
([log in to unmask]) with a short (<400 words) summary or proposal by
November 15th,
2010. We’re flexible on the final number for our panel, but expect 3-4
speakers with 15-20
minutes each.

Thanks,
Val

Valerie Waldron                                              (734)647-1972
Computer & Video Game Archive Manager
Art, Architecture & Engineering Library
University of Michigan