On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Where I think we run into a problem is when we try to use FRBR as a record
> structure rather than conceptual guidance, which is what you allude to. This
> is the place where some implementations have decided to either merge Work
> and Expression or Expression and Manifestation because the Expression layer
> seems to make user displays more difficult. (I have also heard that the XC
> project found that putting the FRBR levels back together for display was
> inefficient.)

Right, and I think this leads to all sorts of other ugliness, too:
FRBR-izing aggregations of things (musical albums, anthologies,
conference proceedings, etc.) is a potential UX nightmare (from both
an end user AND data entry perspective).

That said, there are enormous benefits of modeling these things, too:
I am not suggesting we sweep them under the rug (which is basically
what we've historically done), but some we're going to need to figure
out an acceptable balance.

-Ross.